My Photo
Name:
Location: Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

23 August 2004

Rain, rain and more rain...

Monday the 16th I arrived in Sangklaburi, where I will be volunteering for one month before I move on to Rayong, where I will be volunteering for another five months..
And what are my first impressions? Rain, rain, mud, some more rain, bugs in all sizes, from tiny stinging flies, to spiders the size of a saucer and of course rain.. It has been raining here continuously for three months already, minimum of 20 hours a day, my clothes won't dry, my bed is always moist.. But I'm getting used to it already. :)
And the kids? 18 boys, ages 7 to 17.. I don't have any kids myself and have never had much to do with kids, so it was quite a shock at first, the constant noise, the yelling, the running around.. After two days the rain and the kids combined had me questioning what the hell I was doing here!?!

But, it's been a week now and I'm getting used to the kids, they are getting comfortable around me, so I think it will be ok after all.
Also it's been very much going back to basics, a squat toilet, shower outside with cold water, no telephone, no cellular network, no internet, no tv, no bed but a mat on the floor.. It's quite nice actually. :)

Take a look at the pictures of my hut



my first floor bedroom



the bathroom. ;)



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
I am really admiring your patience. The weather and all these kids ... 18 kids and all boys at that! On top of that, they are all at an age which happens to be the most difficult to deal with. On the other hand, I know from experience how lovely and thankful they can be. Their trust and love will make it all worth your while. And concerning the rain ... well, you know Holland. Lots of rain and hardly any sun ... You don't miss a thing. ;o)

Have fun and take care,

Kathleen

4:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard I was VERY impressed about your 5 stars room and luxury toilet and all those a lot of fun creatures living with you at same room who come from every where including walls but after a second thought I think you are doing some thing special not every one able to do it,you are exploring amazing different world, wish you luck in your experience

Yasmeen

5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home