My Photo
Name:
Location: Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

27 July 2004

Nice Jordan

4 hours to go before I have to leave for the airport, so finally some time to write about my time in Jordan..
Yesterday I finally met Yasmeen, a chatfriend for quite some time already, she was the reason I decided on a stop in Amman for 2 days instead of Dubai, so it was very nice to finally be able to meet face to face.
She works at the University of Amman, so we decided to meet there around noon, when I told the man behind the desk at the hotel where I was going he offered to write it down for me in Arabic so I could show it to the taxidriver, to avoid any confusion.
So after first visiting the ancient Roman Theatre in downtown Amman (Jordan is filled with wonderful ancient ruins) in the morning, I got a taxi and after studying my piece of arabic paper for a minute he stepped on the gas and I got my first taste of the adventure called Jordan traffic! There don't seem to be any rules, everybody just tries to almost push the other cars out of the way while honking the horn! :)
But after a 15 minute rollercoaster ride I arrived safely at the University gates.. and a few minutes later Yasmeen came to pick me up in her car, the University campus is so big you really need a car to get from one end to the other!
After catching up on things and exchanging some gifts at her office she showed me around part of the University and then we went to a beautiful Jordanian restaurant for a real traditional meal, complete with waterpipe for smoking.. Now I really don't smoke, I hate cigarettes, but the waterpipe was actually quite nice, it's really a very soft taste and it's really wonderful to sit there relaxing, enjoying a good meal, good company and sucking on your waterpipe and blowing big clouds of nice smelling smoke.. :)
Unfortunately my timing is a bit bad, Yasmeen's oldest daughter is leaving tonight for a year of highschool in the USA, and she was very very busy with preparations, so there wasn't a lot of time to spend together.. maybe on my way back next year, inshallah...

So in the evening I went to Jerash, in this case my timing was good, there happens to be a big festival going on around this time, it takes place in the ancient ruins in the town of Jerash, a beautiful place to visit any time actually, but during the festival every night there are dozens of performances happening.. Arab stars, Jordanian folklore and even folk groups from all over the world are performing.
Lots of families, tourists and kids show up to enjoy the party, it was really a great night out, even if, after 50 times, it became a bit tiring to get the same questions over and over, 'where are you from', 'what is your name', 'what do you think of Jordan'... :)
But they are really interested, so that makes it ok, it's not just to be polite but they really want to get to know you, great people.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Richard,
So nice to read your short experience in Jordan, but you need enough time to explore and see plenty and unique also very beautiful places in Jordan, such as DEAD SEE, PETRA AND ONE OF THE NICEST DESERT ON THE WORLD, HOPE YOU WILL FIND ENOUGH AND FREE TIME to come back to enjoy Jordan, maybe you had good opportunity to vist Jerash Festival, which always in summer time,
Anyway,
Hope you did enjoy the short time in Jordan and your staying was acceptable,
Sincerely
F.

1:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, I'm glad you're having a good time already. I really can't picture you with a waterpipe though, and I tried! I hope someone took a photograph. ;)

Marjan

2:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hai Richard,

Your adventure has finally begun! As I told you many times before you left...........I believe it's a great adventure and experience. Picturing you with a waterpipe lounging in a restaurant is extremely funny. Show us a picture, please!

Have fun in Thailand...........and don't forget to update your stories! I'll be reading them with great interest. I'm sure that everybody at CAIW is as surprised as I was just reading about your encouter with the waterpipe.

Greetings, Carolyn

10:25 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

@Faisal: My friend, I will certainly reserve more time to see Jordan when I come back, it's really a most enjoyable country and now I would love to see all it's beautiful places! And my stay in your hotel was better than acceptable. :) If any of you other readers is ever going to Jordan, visit this place, I recommend it.. Al-Saraya Hotel@Marjan, Carolyn: I'm so sorry, but I really did forget to take a picture.. I think I was not yet in full travelmode.. :) I'll be sure to remember it the next time.

11:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://mndsljaw.com/evck/eesq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qnbautxf.com/zxli/dsda.html]Cool site[/url]

2:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

2:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://mndsljaw.com/evck/eesq.html | http://flldcdlu.com/hcys/zeph.html

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home